Sunday, October 16, 2011

Unexpected Trips

So, I took the bus to NYC to meet Margie wearing my thick white brace under my clothes.  Let's just say that it is not the most comfortable thing to wear if you are sitting.  Lying down?  Different story.  My stomach was still very sore and it looked like the stitches under my armpit and near my tummy were healing up nicely.  To anyone that may choose this additional surgery, I would have to say that it is very doable and compared to the previous ones, it is a walk in the park.  My only negative is the brace...under clothes.


I had a great time at the Open and I will admit, I did not feel like wearing that brace the entire time because I soon became Deenie in "Are You There God, It's Me Margaret?". ( If you are over 40, please tell me you remember that book.)  I wore it out one night and I couldn't have felt more ugly and uncomfortable although, truthfully, no one but me knew it since my dress hid it beautifully. I still felt like a dork which is not what one is supposed to feel like in Manhattan.


So here it the kicker.  I fly back Wednesday (wearing my brace) to my home in SC and on Thursday, I find out that I am being deployed as a volunteer for the Red Cross!  I have been training this entire year and BEGGING the powers that be to deploy me.  Holy cow!  I got deployed back to NY to help in a shelter in Binghamton, NY for two weeks.  Immediately, I read over the information and while filling out form number 147, I see where you have to check Yes or No if you have stitches.  Crap!  I check No and call Margie.

"Hey Margie.  Do you know how to sew?  Have you ever taken out stitches before?", I ask
"No but how hard can it be?", she replied
"Ok, I'll be over in ten and I"ll bring a tweezer.  Do you have tiny scissors?"

And the next thing you know, I am lying on the floor while Margie puts on her readers to clip and pull out the stitiches so that, technically, I do not have to answer Yes to that question.


I pack up my white brace and limited attire and get back on the plane to LaGuardia on Friday.  I knew going into this it was going to be exhausting but highly rewarding from all that I have heard from others who have deployed before.  However, this was my first deployment so I was excited and slightly nervous about the brace and the fact that I just had this operation a mere week and a half ago.  I knew if I declined, I probably wouldn't be asked again for awhile.  I also knew that there had to be nurses around and maybe a doctor or two.  I mean, it's the Red Cross, right?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Arlene,
    I am a student at Central Michigan University. I am a senior, and a double major in Apparel Merchandising and Design.

    I currently am in a Functional Design class, and I want to recreate a garment for a mastectomy patient.

    I ran across your blog and was wondering if you would be willing to give any insite into problems or things you would like

    to see changed in mastectomy garments.

    I also will be putting together a survey once I research the topic more.

    Any information would help!

    Thank you for your time,



    Melanie Dunnigan
    melaniedunnigan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete