Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Long Overdue Update

Seriously?  It is October already?  Wow..how did that happen?  Geez, you are probably thinking I have been such a slacker now that I am officially finished with the entire "boobie" ordeal but, actually, I have soooooo much to tell you!  So, let's roll back the months to August when I underwent the final, final operation.


We just escaped Hurricane Irene while driving down I-95 en route to my friend's house in Lehigh Valley, PA.  Her electricity was out all day Sunday (in fact for 4 days thereafter) and I was concerned that the electricity would also be out in Philadelphia meaning the operation would be put off until later in the week.  I called our hotel and, luckily, all was well with PECO in Center City.  We drove down on Sunday to settle in to my new "residence" at Le Meridien for the next few days while I recovered.


Monday morning, we showed up at Pennsylvania Hospital and it was getting to be easier and easier for me to go through the black markups by Dr. Bucky as well as meeting the anesthesiologist and his staff.  It's hard to believe that last December I was so freaked out by "going under' and now I was like, "bring it"!  Of course there was the familiar bantering between the medical group which, always puts me at ease.  I told Dr. Bucky to err on the side of "more".  More is definitely MORE when removing fat from my body.  While he was marking me up, he asked if I wanted the fat taken from my stomach.  Uh, hell yeah, Dr. B.  I am over 45 and that stupid roll came out of left field somewhere between 46 and 47 years of age so, yesiree, take that roll and reduce that thing!  Finally, he asked if I would mind if he took some fat out of my armpit area.  Seriously?  And you actually had to ask me?


I woke up about an hour or so later (I think) and I had absolutely no trouble breathing coming out of the anesthesia.  In fact, I just felt a little bit sore in my tummy and my armpits.  He inserted the fat into my left breast so there wouldn't be an obvious ridge and it just felt a little "hard" if you will.  Seriously, this was not bad at all.  In fact, I only took one valium and then an Advil on occasion while I healed in my hotel room the next two days.  I did, however, have a velcro white brace around my tummy to keep the swelling in place.  It felt a little like one of those black braces that you had to wear if you were lifting heavy items to avoid hurting your lower back.  Or better yet....they felt like Spanx.


The plan was for me to drive back with Bob to South Carolina two days later in our mini SUV with sport suspension.  Right there, you should immediately gasp while reading "sport suspension".  What the hell was I thinking?  Twelve hours driving in a vehicle that feels every bump in the road?  I must have been on something when I came up with that brilliant idea.  Luckily, the moons were all aligned and an angel called Margie called me up at the last minute and asked if I wanted to attend the US Open in NY at the last minute.  This would mean I could recoup at my brother's house in NJ for a few more days and then take the Megabus up to NY only to fly home a few days after.  Did I mention that she also had box seats for the Open?  Count me "in"!

No comments:

Post a Comment