Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Holding Pattern

I still won't have my next expansion until February 14th so I am basically like an airplane in a holding pattern.  The tissue expanders (TE) are annoying as hell and, hard as I tried, I cannot break up with Val.  I was away from her for almost a week and I was in such a burning pain that I was forced back into Val's grip of "no pain".  Bob keeps insisting that she is there for a reason but I am fighting hard against her because I just hate putting drugs into my body.


Yesterday, I went and had my hair "touched up" and, let me tell you, that was certainly an experience.  Since I just moved to Bluffton near Hilton Head island, I sought out a salon that used Framesi products because I have used them since I was 26 years old.  I found this one place on Hilton Head and I was a little apprehensive about going there.  It was called Rhea's and the sound of her voice on the phone made me nervous enough.  She sounded like an aged smoker and I envisioned the salon full of stationary hair dryers and bins full of those plastic rollars used in permanents that my grandmother used to get monthly.  In fact, my mom got them too in the 1970's!


I was running a little late so I tried to call her but the message said that the number had been disconnected.  Hmmmmm........first clue.   Needless to say, I was dead on!  When I saw the older, coiffed lady leaving with her newly teased curly permanent before I walked in, I knew I was in trouble.  The "decor" was done in 1985 "tiki hut" and it seemed that Rhea was the only one that worked there.  Her attire consisted of a baseball hat, cropped pants with sandals......and it was 40 degrees outside.  I called in my "formula" beforehand so that this should have been the easiest appointment ever.  After the color was applied, she asked for me to sit under one of the stationary hair dryers.  Really?  I think I was 22 when I was asked to sit under a hair dryer.....which was about 1987.  While I was "under", I heard yelling and such in the background while the hot air was bearing down on my head.  It seems that the phone was turned off by the phone company.  Hmmm....not a good business strategy.  I would think a phone to schedule appointments is a necessity to a salon.  When I came back to the chair, I suggested to her that they reroute the phone calls to her cell phone while they figured out what the "ptoblem" was with the phone company.  Her reply was "Absolutely not!  I am going down and giving them hell and I don't care if I don't have a phone for a few days."  Again..I say "Hmmmm."


In any case, she started to dry my hair and I noticed that the roots were a tad bit lighter.  I started to panic.  "Um Rhea....did you follow the formula I gave you?"  Her reply was "Absolutely!  1/2 this and 1/2 that."  I reached into my handbag to retrieve the formula and, lo and behold, it was not 1/2 this and 1/2 that BUT 1/2 this and 1/4 THAT.  Oh no!  I almost wanted to tear up.  I know I donated my hair and I do feel good about that but, this time, I miss it.  I think it's because I don't feel healthy and it shows in my hair.  NOW.....I have a different color near my scalp.  Lovely!  I paid her the riduculous sum of $135 and I couldn't get out of there fast enough! 


When I came back home, I immediately called a bunch of salons in Savannah which is 20 minutes away and was given the number to the local hair product distributor.  She gave me the number to a salon in Savannah that uses Framesi.  They already made me feel at ease after I explained what had just happened and said that they could correct it on my visit next month.   Ahhhh...I felt so much more at ease.  SO much, in fact, that I popped a few Advil and a few hours later, I was actually  up for going out to the Inn at Palmetto Bluff which is on the property.  Even though the color isn't perfect,  I hated to waste the blow dry by sitting at home and watching TV.  My husband was so ecstatic that I wanted to grab a drink at the Inn close by that the day ended up turning around.

No comments:

Post a Comment