Monday, January 10, 2011

One Month Marker

Today will be exactly one month since my mastectomy.  To the women that must undergo this procedure, I wanted to point out a few observations.  To begin with, be prepared to go through a wide range of emotions- from elation to depression.  I have been told that it is largely due to the amount of medications that are needed from anethesia to the everyday medications.  After the first week of hanging around in my fleece "outfit", I would get up, make coffee, take a shower, get dressed and try to particiapte throughout a normal day; this includes a little walk, some chores and communicating with friends and others.  Keep in mind that you are not a super human being.  Your body is still healing so if there is a day when you need a nap or if you need to stay in your pj's, do it....but try not to make it a habit.  It is better for your psyche if you get back into the swing of things.


Yesterday was that day for me.  I stayed in my fleece outfit all day and slowly organized my closets, napped and watched movies.   Since I am officially off all valium, I wonder if my body is going through a withdrawal since those pills are "downers".  My plan is to just use ibuprofen until the next surgery.  The slight depression could also be from moving to a brand new environment and not being able to actively participate in meeting new people ....and missing my friends and family from California and Philadelphia.  In addition, I also feel like I have a large piece of metal surrounding my chest and it is an odd sensation.  Whatever the case may be, I am acknowledging it and just moving forward by keeping a positive outlook.  In my case, I elected this surgery.  There are many others, including my own sister, that will not only have to go through the mastectomy but, in addition, add chemotherapy to the mix.  Just remember, your body is amazing and will heal.  It just takes time.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Arlene :) I found your blog last week when I was diagnosed with LCIS. I decided to have a mastectomy & your blog has really helped me understand a little bit more from a "real person's" point of view as opposed to clinical. So I wanted to thank you for sharing your very personal story & very private part of your life with me....a stranger.
    I spoke with my surgeon & the PS today to go over my options.....wow there was a lot of information! But I think it has all set in & I am ready for my surgery that is scheduled for early February.

    thank you & god bless!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen,
    I am glad I could be of some help. If you ever want to talk, please feel free to email me and I will give you my number. I spoke to a friend of a friend that underwent a bi-lateral mastectomy and she really helped me in my decision process. :)
    Arlene

    ReplyDelete