Sunday, March 6, 2011

T Minus two and counting!

I cannot believe it but in two days I will be at the end of the reconstruction process and I am beside myself with happiness!  Of course a little anxiety needs to be added since these tissue expanders have now become a part of my body and they are leaving me.  It sounds silly but, as uncomfortable as these TEs are, I know how to work my day around them.  They will now be replaced with a softer, more realistic breast; however, I am anxious because I don't know what it will feel like.  I read other's comments who have gone through this surgery on the Breast Reconstruction forum on Breastcancer.org and the overwhelming consensus seems to declare that this surgery is much easier on the body and the implants are so much more comfortable.  That being said, I am still a little anxious.
We leave tomorrow morning to drive the twelve hours up to Philadelphia with one overnight stop.  My husband is so going to heaven after all of this!  I have the surgery Wednesday morning and I made hotel reservations since I can't imagine feeling horrible and having to stay at someone's house.  We will stay in the hotel until Saturday and then stay at my in-law's home.  I see the nurse on Monday and then my husband will drop me off at my friend's home to hang out for another week.  I have to see the plastic surgeon on the 22nd for the final exam so it does not make sense to drive home and then have to turn around and come back.  Once Bob drops me off, he will drive home and then I will fly back after the exam.  If all goes well, I will be cleared and will not have to come back to Philadelphia for another six months.  There is a chance that a "touch-up" fat grafting may be needed in which fat from my thighs can be extracted and use as a filler, if needed.  Hmmmmm......

I have been off Ibuprofen and all other medications for almost two weeks now which has prohibited me from exercising so once again, those pounds reared their ugly heads.  I just keep telling myself that it is all part of the process and eventually, once I am finished with this, I will have my exercise routine back on schedule.  On an added note, I was given high-potency vitamins which caused me to break out in an itchy rash on my mid-section.  I called the manufacturer and this has happened before so I discontinued use.  Unfotunately, I have not been able to get rid of the red rash but Benedryl has come in quite handy.  Once I am able to comment after the surgery, I will post my experience for you to read.  Good luck to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment