Sunday, December 26, 2010

Belated Holiday Greetings

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!  I am sorry I have been a little lax in writing.  I will tell you that I got a bit cocky.  Well,.....too cocky in fact!  I went for my third expansion on Thursday and my plastic surgeon decided that I was a bit too bruised and we were going a bit too fast.  Therefore, the stitches were taken out but no saline expansion occured.  I have to add that I weaned myself off of the valium and ibuprofen and was feeling really great about everything.  I was healing; the soreness was minimal and it was almost Christmas.  Since we drove over to Dr. Bucky's office on the Main Line which was near my in-laws, we decided to continue driving so that we could see his brother's family that were visitng his parents from Miami, Alaska, Maine and NYC.  En route, I received a text from one of my fellow master's students who took a job at a boutique dress store.  I figured since I was feeling, oh so fantastic, why not stop in and try on new clothes since they were having this amazing sale on all of these one of a kind gorgeous designer items.


No problemo.  I was in there (in my surgical bra) trying on about 12 different dresses and having a great time.  I bought a few things, hopped in the car with my husband and continued over to my in-laws for dinner.  At this point, I will interject and point out that my in-laws embrace the custom of cocktail hour...every night.  It is presented as it was in the 1960's which is complete with beautiful crystal glasses, petit and flavorful h'or doeuvres while sitting around the fireplace chatting about the day.  Since I was feeling like I never had an operation a mere ten days ago and I declared myself free of valium, I decided that I would allow myself one glass of pinot grigio.  Afterwards, dinner was served which was a venison stew brought down from Alaska by my neice and her boyfriend and then we decided to drive back fairly early.  Great day, right?


By midnight, my chest felt like it was wrapped with a sheet of heavy armour and I could barely breath.  If I had that morphine drip like I did in the hospital, I would have been pumping that baby till there was no tomorrow.  Since I am still scared to take the Dilaudid (and I will not do it), I threw back some valium and about four ibuprofen.  Sleep..finally..at least for a few hours.  Next morning, I needed Bob to help me get up and out of bed.  I wobbled to the bathroom and decided, screw it, I am staying in my fleece PJ's all day and taking my trusty and new best friend, Val, with an occasional ibuprofen here and there if needed.  Back to watching Married to Rock (are these women for real?) and The Housewives of Beverly Hills (train wreck!).  I couldn't even wean myself onto a movie since I needed stupid valium induced reality TV shows to forget the sheet of armour around my chest area.


So now it is Sunday.  Christmas?  What happened to that?  I made it into a shower and out to a movie (How Do You Know?) yesterday which was adorable by the way.  We had to see that movie since they filmed a tiny part in our condo unit last year and the producer and her family lived in our condo for two months and paid us a lot of money for us to leave.  I figured it was a cute chick flick that would be perfect for a non-thinking movie where I could sit straight up and reduce the straight-jacket effect of the armour.  I thought long and hard about getting out of those fleece pants though....but I did...AND I put on makeup and perfume!  Just doing that makes me feel human :)


Today, I am doing much better.  The armour has subsided and feels more like an Ace bandage which has taught me a few things.  First, don't get so cocky and think that you are superwoman and can just breeze through the healing process.  Second, Val is your best friend and is used for a reason which is to relax the muscles so that they can heal.  Finally, a walk outside in the snow or cold provided that it is a little walk and not 25 blocks in the city is good for your psyche.  Oh yes,  and although there is a great sale......put it off since the clothes might still be there in a few days PLUS it is not easy getting in and out of all of those dresses, pants and shirts by yourself.


So, on that note, I am going to take my fleece robed body, drop another valium, put on earphones and read for a little bit before I lapse into a long nap.  I have been informed that my husband will be waking me up for another quick little walk into the fresh air so that I my ass does not become a permanent part of the sofa.  Let's see how I do for New Year's :)

No comments:

Post a Comment