Thursday, December 23, 2010

Lymphatic Drainage Massage

Yesterday I had my first lymphatic drainage massage.  The method used was the Vodder method.  The mthod was established in the 1970's by Dr. Vodder and is practiced throughout the world.  It specializes in lymphatic drainage and is used quite extensively for mastectomy patients during the healing process to move the lymphatic fluid and provide more mobility.  The expanders that are in place to stretch the muscle under the skin to accomodate the implants are a bitch.  Sorry, but that is the best way to describe them.  Obviously, their job is to stretch out a muscle that does not want to be stretched so it is constantly fighting back the expansion.  Today, I will receive my third expansion since I am trying desperately to get as much done before the move which occurs in about ten days.When I told my firend that I was leaving to get my massage, her reply was "How nice! I haven't had a massage in awhile."  Well, my friend, it is not a Swedish massage in a room filled with lavender candles with lights dimmed really low.  This one has a purpose which is to provide more mobility and less soreness by moving the fluid inside the affected area.  There was no pain involved and basically, Dan just worked the breast tissue.  For any guy reading this, they are probably thinking....wow..how cool is that...massaging women's breasts!  Great benfits plus the pay is good!  But seriously, Dan has been doing this for years and I am sure he has seen it all so the breasts are basically non-issues.I was lucky in my surgery to not have to have any lymph nodes removed which hinders the mobility of my arms.  I can raise them quite high but there is a definite soreness above, say, elbow to eye level.  When Dan was finished, I could raise them almost over my head without any soreness.  I have already arranged to have a lymphatic drainage masseuse in Savannah to continue the process since I truly belieive in the body's natural healing abilities.  I am also happy to say that I am off all pills.  I do, however, keep my happy little valium pill close by just in case :)

No comments:

Post a Comment