Friday, December 3, 2010

The Bucky Nipple

Since I am a very linear person, I will postpone my post regarding my pre-op check in with the plastic surgeon yesterday and concentrate instead on completing the decision process.  After the research, meeting the oncologists and taking/not taking the BRCA 1/2 test, I decided it made sense to speak with the plastic surgeon.  Immediately, I called my breast surgeon's office and they recommended two surgeons that they collaborate with for breast reconstruction.  I looked both up on the internet.  Seriously, what did we do before Google? 
The first doctor specializes in tram flap reconstruction.  "What is that?", you ask.  The tram flap procedure uses muscle, fat and skin from one's abdomen to create a new artificial breast. The advantages include the use of non-synthetic materials and the patient would get a tummy tuck in the process. The disadvantage is the longer recovery time and multiple scarring since it is a more extensive surgical procedure.  My thoughts on this?  Bring on the silicone!
I made an appointment with the other plastic surgeon but, since he is very well known in the Philadelphia area, I had to wait a few weeks.  The receptionist tried to get me in earlier since I am on a timeline.  Sorry......I failed to disclose to you that this all took place in November 2010 and we are going to be moving from Philadelphia to Bluffton, South Carolina on January 4, 2011.  Normally, the breast surgery and reconstruction take place over a 3-month time period so, if I proceed with this, I am trying to get the first month, which is mainly recovery, completed before the move knowing full well that Hwy 95 will become my new BFF in the future.  After a few mix ups on both his and my part, Dr. Bucky and I were able to meet at his office.
This may sound superficial to some, but to me, aesthetics are very important- especially good decor.  When I walked into the reception area, the lighting was perfect and the colors were warm and inviting.  Both the nurses, as well as the patients waiting to be seen, were attractive and well coiffed.  I mean, think about it.  A plastic surgeon, for the most part, is selling youth and sexiness, right?  Not only do I want an experienced, competant surgeon but I want to know that I will look beautiful and as natural as possible when I get done with this ordeal.  Since this decision is "preventative" and not mandatory, I needed to get a sense of what I was going to look like afterwards in terms of scars and overall breast appearance.
After doning a warm (loved that) salmon colored waffle-weave "gown", Dr. Bucky and I sat down for a consultation.  Let me interject here to say that I am a textile graduate and former colorist so colors and fabrics are important to me.  If I get very tactile in description, you now know the reason behind it.  Anyway, the doctor went through a list of criteria that makes a mastectomy easier in terms of recovery and also recreating or enhancing the overall look of the breasts upon completion.  Out of all 7, I scored an "A" (if you know me at all, you know how I love to score 100% ).  I only remember 2 of the 7 which were small breast area and thin/good health.  So FINALLY, after all these years of exercising and hating my smaller breasts, it worked in my favor!
Together, we looked at past patients that had similar body types in terms of before and after pictures.  The scaring was minimal and, in some, the breast actually looked "prettier" afterwards.  Even in those patients that needed reconstructed nipples, Dr. Bucky was pure artist.  Seriously....he dubbed it "the Bucky nipple" and it was amazing!  Although I am a candidate for a nipple saving procedure, I felt so confident after meeting him that I actually had a skip in my step on the walk home.  I was told that the expanders were not going to be a "walk in the park" and I will lose feeling in both breasts but  I knew that from talking to women who went through mastectomies.  My main concern was that I will look normal.  I feel extremely confident that Dr. Bucky will achieve this goal.  I now made the decision to go full steam ahead and contacted my breast surgeon to get the ball rolling!

No comments:

Post a Comment