Saturday, December 4, 2010

That's What Friends Are For

Interestingly enough, my decision had been made to proceed with the preventative mastectomy but it seems that not everyone was on board with me.  The most important person, besides myself, that I needed to affirm this decision was my husband.  Thank goodness Bob was in agreement.  I think it helped that I dragged him to the first oncologist meeting at which the doctor said that he agreed with a preventative mastectomy if my risk was going to be substantially reduced.
I wanted to post a few comments from my friends so that those of you who are considering a a BPMX(cancer lingo for bi-lateral preventative mastectomy) will understand that it truly is up to you to make that decision.  I have decided that human beings, for the most part, need to assert their opinions because they want to be heard.  It makes us feel acknowledged.  This blog, in fact, is my way of being heard and makes me feel like my voice counts.  So, keeping that thought in mind, here are some of the comments that I experienced when I told some people that I was thinking about a BPMX:
"LCIS is not cancer so why would you cut off your breasts?"
"You said that you don't like to take drugs (tamoxifin) but yet you would cut off your boobs?"
"If you just think positive thoughts, this will not manifest itself into breast cancer."
"I feel there is a black cloud over your head and I don't have a good feeling about this surgery."
"Breasts are so important to me that I would NEVER do such a thing."
"There's just got to be something else you can do."
Those are some of the negative comments.  However, these were some of the positive comments:
"Honey, I am so proud of you for doing this." (from my 83 year old dad. Love you dad!)
"A preventative strike, as physically and emotionally painful as it will be, is ultimately a kindness to your body; the ravages of surgery, chemo and radiation are so much worse."
"You have a lot of courage to do this and my prayers are with you."
"Knowing what a good student you were that you probably got A's and would be disappointed with getting Bs and Cs. With the new boobs you can be excited about getting C or D, I guess that might be a bit big but D's are good in you want to get in adult movies." (one of my favorites from an old college friend)
"You can still feel "down there" right?  Well then, who needs boobs anyhow?" (Loved this!)
I am grateful that I have a lot of friends scattered throughout the world and I am thankful that Facebook has helped me to connect with people that I haven't seen or spoken to in ages.  It is so comforting to know that there are so many good, kind people that offered to help during this time period  I will just say this to all of you.......I appreciate all of your prayers, thoughts and emails.  They give me the affirmation and strength to continue this journey.  I thank you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment