Friday, December 10, 2010

Life Goes On

The anxiety is beginning to set in...finally.  Not that I was looking forward to it but I figured it had to happen sooner rather than later.  I think I am more anxious about the move which will occur 15 days after the surgery.  "Why?", you ask.  Well, we've packed up houses and moved SIX times since 2008!  No, I am not a gypsy..nor a vagabond.  To begin with, we had our house fall out of escrow in 2008 AFTER we had everything packed and stored off site which then had to be moved back and semi-unpacked for a year and then moved back into storage again when we rented out that house.  Then, we sold and moved our second home "stuff" from SF to Philadelphia....only to have that condo sell four months later.  A year ago, we moved the furniture from the storage unit in California to another storage unit in Philly and then finally, we took the furniture from the sold Philadelphia condo and moved it into a rental.  NOW, we have to pack the remaining furniture and store that for a year while we try out South Carolina which, thank goodness, that house is fully furnished.   If you are a woman, you know that it isn't going to get done the way you want it to get done unless you do it yourself.  Thus..the anxiety.  Today, I am giving myself a list of items to pack before Monday so that my husband is not burdened with the chore of packing and, eventually, getting scolded for not doing it the "correct" way. 
I say "life goes on" because it does.  I still have to see the dentist today and get my hair done tomorrow.  Laundry still has to get done and the house still needs to be vacuumed.  Just because I am going "under the knife" on Monday doesn't mean there will be an interuption on FOX News stating that ...."Arlene Flick has been in surgery for four hours and expects to emerge with fantastic new breasts by mid-afternoon."  It just doesn't happen that way.  Well, it doesn't happen that way unless I am Michele Obama or ......maybe Oprah.  There are far more people that are undergoing much more serious operations than this which always centers my perspective on this surgery.
Yes, it will be painful.  Yes, my body will change.  Yes, it will take weeks (perhaps months) to fully recover but I have to learn to work around it and continue living my life.  Hopefully, this will not sound contrived but we all have one shot at life...and it is short-lived.  Therefore, as painful or as frightening as new experiences are or appear, there is always the option to either A) walk away and do nothing or B) jump in feet first and wallow in it and experience it in full.  I choose "B".

No comments:

Post a Comment